I stumbled upon an uber-cool website that renders a nice little service- a cheatsheat to those irritating automated telephone response systems. It tells you the keystrokes or phrases you must use on the telephone to get to the operator directly instead of waiting endlessly on the phone line. Alas, it is helpful only for people in US and UK. I hope it will expand to include other places, like India. Meanwhile, my American and British friends will find it useful.
While you are at it, be sure to read their blog too. One funny post, copy-pasted, from there:
Hello, and welcome to the gethuman psychiatric hot line.
* If you are obsessive-compulsive, please press 1 repeatedly.
* If you are co-dependent, please ask someone to press 2.
* If you have multiple personalities, please press 3, 4, 5 and 6.
* If you are paranoid-delusional, we know who you are and what you want. Just stay on the line so we can trace the call.
* If you are schizophrenic, listen carefully and a little voice will tell you which number to press.
* If you are manic-depressive, it doesn't matter which number you press. No one will answer.